I looked around and didn't see a thread for this. What's your top ten, fifteen, twenty shows of the year? I'll start.
1. Prince, Warner Theatre 2. Kendrick Lamar w/NSO Orchestra, Kennedy Center 3. James Blake, Terminal West Atlanta 4. Chance the Rapper, Trillectro Festival 5. Foo Fighters, RFK July 4th Festival 6. Sleater Kinney, 9:30 Club 7. Father John Misty and King Tuff, 9:30 Club 8. Drake, Landmark Festival 9. Mastodon, Shaky Knees Festival 10. Ex Hex, Landmark Festival 11. Ryan Adams, Shaky Knees Festival 12. LL Cool J, RFK July 4th Festival 13. Tobias Jesso, 9:30 Club 14. Speedy Ortiz, Shaky Knees Festival 15. El Vy, 9:30 Club 16. Alt-J, Landmark Festival 17. North Mississippi All-Stars, Birchmere 18. Jeremih, Trillectro Festival 19. Django Django, 9:30 Club 20. Chvrches, Landmark Festival
I'll restrict this to one show(ish) per artist, you'll notice it ties in with my list in my signature
1. The Lone Bellow, Webster Hall 11/13 2. Roger Waters (w/ My Morning Jacket, Lucius, and others), Newport Folk Fest 7/24 3. My Morning Jacket, Beacon Theatre (3 shows, 11/24, 25, and 28) 4. Kendrick Lamar - King Kunta's Groove Sessions, Terminal 5 11/2 5. Jack White, Madison Square Garden 1/30 6. Beck, Boston Calling 5/22 7. Courtney Barnett, The Sinclair 5/18 8. Father John Misty, State Theatre 8/3 9. Flying Lotus, Bonnaroo 6/12 10. Dead & Company, Madison Square Garden 11/7 11. Neil Young + Promise of the Real, Xfinity Center 7/22 12. The Districts (w/ Lady Lamb), Music Hall of Williamsburg 11/5 13. Florence + the Machine, Bonnaroo 6/14 14. The Strokes, Landmark Festival 9/27 15. Sleater-Kinney, Irving Plaza 12/14 16. Alabama Shakes, Forest Hills Stadium, 9/19 17. '65 Revisited, Newport Folk Fest 7/26 18. St. Vincent, Boston Calling 5/23 19. Tame Impala, Terminal 5 10/7 20. Paul McCartney, Irving Plaza 2/14
Honorable Mentions: Deerhunter, Warsaw 12/9 Dispatch, Madison Square Garden 7/11 The Cat Empire, Webster Hall 4/18 Chance the Rapper, Terminal 5 10/23
Post by Fozzie Bear on Dec 21, 2015 15:16:39 GMT -5
Not in any particular order aside from the top few:
D'Angelo & The Vanguard, Bonnaroo Nicolas Jaar, III Points Flying Lotus DJ Set, Spybar Paul McCartney, Lollapalooza Jamie xx, Bonnaroo Jamie xx, Mana Wynwood James Blake, Big Guava Sufjan Stevens, Phillips Center for Performing Arts Lane 8, FDR at Delano Kendrick Lamar, Bonnaroo Duke Dumont, Sunset Music Festival Bonobo, III Points ODESZA, Hulaween Hot Chip, Lollapalooza The War on Drugs, Metro Tycho, Bonnaroo Jungle, Bonnaroo Porter Robinson, Sunset Music Festival Claptone, Sunset Music Festival Route 94, Sunset Music Festival Ryan Adams, Big Guava Caribou, Bonnaroo Black Coffee, Heart Nightclub Art Department, Heart Nightclub Jay Electronica, III Points XXYYXX, III Points Nick Monaco, III Points
Post by DRAGON ENERGY on Dec 21, 2015 16:38:11 GMT -5
Top 15, was gonna try and order it but these were all so great I can't really choose
Tool - Monster Mash Festival, AZ Gesaffelstein - FFF (late night) Fuzz - Blue Bird, Denver Ms Lauryn Hill - FFF Sufjan Stevens - Rocky Mountain Folk Festival Caribou - Bonnaroo The Prodigy - Riot Fest System Of A Down - Riot Fest Jamie XX - Bonnaroo Kendrick Lamar - Bonnaroo Deadmau5 - Bonnaroo Mark Knopfler - Red Rocks BadBadNotGood - FFF Four Tet - Cloak & Dagger Fest, Denver Courtney Barnett - Bonnaroo
Caribou @ First Avenue Clean Bandit @ First Avenue D'Angelo @ First Avenue FFS @ First Avenue Gesaffelstein @ Coachella Hot Chip @ First Avenue Kraftwerk @ Northrop Auditorium Madonna @ Xcel Energy Center Nicki Minaj @ Hollywood Casino Amphitheatre Paul McCartney @ Lollapalooza Peaches @ First Avenue Purity Ring @ First Avenue Shamir @ Pitchfork Sleater-Kinney @ First Avenue Stromae @ Coachella Taylor Swift @ Soldier Field Todd Terje @ Coachella TV on the Radio @ Metro The War on Drugs @ Metro Zebra Katz @ Lollapalooza
1. Mumford and Sons - Gentlemen of the Road Stopover, Seaside, NJ 2. Chance the Rapper - Electric Factory, Philadelphia, PA 3. Jack White - Madison Square Garden, New York, NY 4. Sufjan Stevens - Kimmel Center, Philadelphia, PA 5. Mumford and Sons - Bonnaroo, Manchester, TN 6. War on Drugs* - Landmark Music Festival, Washington, DC 7. Kendrick Lamar - Bonnaroo, Manchester, TN 8. Neutral Milk Hotel - World Cafe Live at the Queen, Wilmington, DE 9. Florence + the Machine - Bonnaroo, Manchester, TN 10. Billy Joel - Bonnaroo, Manchester, TN 11. Chance the Rapper - Trillectro Music Festival, Columbia, MD 12. Alabama Shakes - Gentlemen of the Road Stopover, Seaside, NJ 13. Flying Lotus* - Bonnaroo, Manchester, TN 14. Jungle - Bonnaroo, Manchester, TN 15. Bjork - King's Theatre, Brooklyn, NY 16. Run the Jewels - Madison Square Garden, New York, NY 17. Drake - Landmark Music Festival, Washington, DC 18. Dan Deacon - Landmark Music Festival, Washington, DC 19. Mumford and Sons - Le Poisson Rouge, New York, NY 20. Tame Impala - Tower Theater, Philadelphia, PA 21. 80's Throwback Superjam - Bonnaroo, Manchester, TN 22. Sylvan Esso - Bonnaroo, Manchester, TN 23. Glass Animals - Bonnaroo, Manchester, TN 24. Hozier - Bonnaroo, Manchester, TN 25. My Morning Jacket* - Bonnaroo, Manchester, TN 26. Caribou* - Bonnaroo, Manchester, TN 27. Run the Jewels - Bonnaroo, Manchester, TN 28. Deadmau5* - Bonnaroo, Manchester, TN
Post by thepeppers on Dec 21, 2015 19:13:17 GMT -5
1. Paul McCartney - Firefly, Dover, DE 2. Modest Mouse - American Roots, Raleigh, NC 3. My Morning Jacket - nTelos Wireless Pavilion, Charlottesville, VA 4. Tame Impala - Shaky Knees, Atlanta, GA 5. The Strokes - Shaky Knees, Atlanta, GA 6. Dead & Co - Greensboro Coliseum Complex, Greensboro, NC 7. Fleetwood Mac - Time Warner Cable Arena, Charlotte, NC 8. Sturgill Simpson - Jefferson Theater, Charlottesville, VA 9. Cage the Elephant - Firefly, Dover, DE 10. Neutral Milk Hotel - Shaky Knees, Atlanta, GA
TAUK-Great North first night - Reinforced why I love this band so much. Could have also picked their night set from Aura Dark Side of the Hudson - Covering Animals and Dark Side-Drom late Nov - 3 guitars harmonizing. All masters Pitch Black Brass Band, Yo Mama's Big Fat Booty Band, & Turkuaz-Brooklyn Bowl Oct sometime - Funkiest night I've witnessed in a long time Mantras - Aura - Amazing intro to this band Pink Talking Fish - Catskill Chill - Biggest party set at the most family like party festival.
Grimes - Beach Goth Cafe Tacvba - Hollywood Palladium Angel Olsen - The Observatory Thee Oh Sees -Teragram Ballroom Earl Sweatshirt - Low End Theory Festival Four Tet - The Obsevatory Death Cab for Cutie - Weenie Roast Nosaj Thing - Low End Theory Festival Emancipator - Glasshouse Drake - ACL Unknown Mortal Orchestra - ACL St Vincent - Coachella Sturgill Simpson - ACL The Growlers - Bonnaroo Muse - Weenie Roast Flume - Bonnaroo The War on Drugs - Coachella
1. Dolly Parton at the Ryman 2. AC/DC at Coachella 3. Sufjan Stevens at the Ryman
If you had told me earlier this year that AC/DC would be one of the best shows I've seen this year, I would died laughing. The show was great but the circumstances and the company were really what made it so awesome.
Neil Young and Promise of the Real- Wayhome Future Islands- Wayhome Danny Brown- Wayhome Florence and the Machine- Bestival Toronto Jamie XX- Bestival Toronto The Prodigy- Riotfest Toronto Paul McCartney- Air Canada Centre Fuzz- The Hoxton The Tragically Hip- Budweiser Gardens Broods- Danforth Music Hall
Kendrick Lamar- Wayhome Weezer (performing the Blue album)- Riotfest Toronto Foo Fighters- Molson Amphitheatre ASAP Rocky- VELD Hey, Rosetta!- Wayhome
Post by billypilgrim on Dec 22, 2015 17:40:31 GMT -5
Top 10 in chronological order (no lead artist listed more than once - in my case, we call this the Phil Lesh Rule)
Phil & Friends (w/ C. Robinson, A. MacDougall, N. Casal) - Terrapin Crossroads, San Rafael
Courtney Barnett - Bonnaroo
Alabama Shakes - Bonnaroo
Kendrick Lamar - Bonnaroo
Atomic Bomb! Who Is William Onyeabor? Feat. James Liddell, Charles Lloyd, Luke Jenner, Money Mark, Pat Mahoney, Sinkane & Mike Floss - Bonnaroo
D’Angelo & The Vanguard - Outside Lands
Tedeschi Trucks Band (w/ Bob Weir) - Mountain Theater (Mill Valley)
Big Star's Third (featuring Kronos Quartet, Van Dyke Parks, Jody Stephens, Mike Mills, Chris Stamey, Ken Stringfellow, Pat Sansone, Ralph Carney, Audley Freed, Brett Harris, Skylar Gudasz, plus an orchestral ensemble; and special guest singers Steve Earle, Robyn Hitchcock, Chatham County Line, Chuck Prophet, Luther Russell & Kelley Stoltz) - Hardly Strictly Bluegrass
The Word - The Fillmore (SF)
Ben Miller Band - Hardly Strictly Bluegrass
North Mississippi Allstars (w/ Phil Lesh) - Terrapin Crossroads, San Rafael
1. Chance the Rapper, House of Blues Boston (10/27) 2. Courtney Barnett, Bonnaroo 3. Destroyer, Royale (10/2) 4. Speedy Ortiz (4/22) 5. Tears for Fears, Bonnaroo 6. The Mountain Goats (4/14) 7. Spoon, Bonnaroo 8. Run the Jewels, The Sinclair (5/23) 9. Titus Andronicus, Brighton Music Hall (10/15) 10. Strand of Oaks, Bonnaroo
I was able to whittle it down to a top 30, but it's too hard to order from there so here it is in alphabetical order. All of the non-festival shows were in St. Louis.
American Wrestlers, The Luminary Beach Slang, Pygmalion Festival Belle & Sebastian, Bonnaroo Brandi Carlile, Bonnaroo Bully, Pygmalion Festival Courtney Barnett, Bonnaroo Diane Coffee, Pygmalion Festival Eskimeaux, The Demo Father John Misty, The Pageant Florence + The Machine, Bonnaroo Foxygen, The Firebird Girlpool, Foam Guster, The Pageant Jason Isbell & The 400 Unit, Peabody Opera House Kenna Mae, Pygmalion Festival Kishi Bashi, The Pageant Mitski, The Demo Paul Doffing, Cafeteria & Company Run The Jewels, Pygmalion Festival San Fermin, The Luminary Sleater-Kinney, The Pageant Spoon, Bonnaroo St. Vincent, The Pageant Sufjan Stevens, Peabody Opera House The Avett Brothers, Loufest The Dø, Bonnaroo The King Khan & BBQ Show, The Duck Room The War on Drugs, Bonnaroo Waxahatchee, Off Broadway
I could fill out a top 50 fairly easily, this has been the best year of music for me by far. Thank all y'all on inforoo for expanding my musical gamut and cheers to making next year just as awesome!
1. Paul McCartney (Firefly) 2. Prince (Royal Farms Arena) 3. Primus (All Good) 4. Earth Wind & Fire (Bonnaroo) 5. Florence & the Machine (Bonnaroo) 6. Chance the Rapper (Trillectro) 7. STS9 (All Good) 8. Consider the Source (Lunalight) 9. Tycho (Bonnaroo) 10. Porter Robinson (Moonrise) 11. Jamie XX (Bonnaroo) 12. Glass Animals (Firefly) 13. Odesza (Firefly) 14. Thievery Corporation (All Good) 15. Pink Talking Fish (Lunalight) 16. Throwback Superjam! (Bonnaroo) 17. Tame Impala (Echostage) 18. Childish Gambino (Bonnaroo) 19. Ben Harper and the Innocent Criminals (Bonnaroo) 20. Lettuce (All Good) 21. Dopapod set #2 (Lunalight) 22. Papadosio (Luna Light) 23. Tauk (All Good) 24. Temples (Bonnaroo) 25. Cashmere Cat (Trillectro)
That Tycho set at Bonnaroo was way better than I expected. I knew it would be good, but that was right on time. Last night I was checking out a bunch of the stuff I am only somewhat or remotely familiar with playing Euphoria (Wave Racer, Bass Physics, Big Wild, Com Truise, Digital Tape Machine, Future Rock) and ended up watching a long clip from Tycho Bonnaroo and remembered just how great that was. I don't recall if I put it in my Roo Top 10 writeup, but if not, it probably should have been.