The Bonnaroo grounds buzz with excitement under the clear sapphire skies, as the crowd swells for Bonnaroo 2014. It’s Thursday afternoon and a group of dedicated inforoo mafia players have gathered together to meet in the Brooers tent. Old grudges are eased and payments issued on a beer bet or two.
As the party gets into full swing, the distinguished fawnmart joins the celebration with a gift for each of you and some dire news. To each of you, she gives a specially baked cookie in the shape of an animated Disney character. As you each look on quizzically while eating your cookie, she explains that she has found out that not all grudges are forgotten, and that there is a truly evil element among the 19 of you. 5 of you have plotted to weaponize the giant robot head at the Daft Punk Friday headliner set. Laser will fire and destroy the crown as they all Lose Themselves to Dance and try to Get Lucky.
As silence falls around our group, Fawn explains that only the dedicated vigilance and proven success of you, the town, has a chance to save us all. But time is now short. Daft Punk plays in 24 hours and that is not nearly enough time to save Bonnaroo! Although Fawn cannot save us, she has used her special magic to give you more time, isolate the evil and protect the innocent festival attendees.
You all feel a growing sensation in your stomachs as Fawn is explaining all of this. It starts as a gentle tingle in your throats and stomach and slowly builds and builds. The tingling morphs into a spastic wriggling and finally excruciating pain as Fawn slowly pulls out an empty Disney book.
“Not all of you will live, but the tale of your sacrifice will be remembered (should you be successful) on the pages of this book. The fate of Bonnaroo is up to you! My magic can only contain you inside until either the town or mafia has emerged victorious. I cannot keep either side trapped once the story has finished. Work together to save us!”
Then suddenly, searing pain condenses in your core as you are sucked into the book! Looking around, you each have taken the form of famous Disney characters, but their story is now for you to write. Who will win? Will the town emerge victorious or will the dastardly mafia destroy us all in in turn? The fate of Bonnaroo is in your hands.
As you embark on this strange journey into the animated world, you are left with this last piece of advice:
Game Play In the small, friendly music community of Bonnaroo, a crafty Mafia has infiltrated the population.
Every day, the population (all live players) gathers to discuss who they think is a member of the Mafia. There is a vote, and the one with the majority is executed. The Townspeople must do this in order to clean Bonnaroo of the Mafia and restore its peaceful vibe.
Every night the Mafiosi decide amongst themselves who to ruthlessly assassinate. At the beginning of each morning, people learn that one of their own has been killed.
Through disrupting the votes and performing their assassinations, the Mafia will try to eliminate Townspeople to the point that they are in the majority and they will rule Bonnaroo forever.
Thus, the Townspeople's great hope are the Inspector and the Detective. They are secret figures, hidden from everyone, that have inside information on the identity of the Mafiosi. They can covertly use this information to influence the votes towards the Mafiosi. But they better watch their step, because if the Mafia gets wind it will be lights out.
Rules 1) The Referee randomly chooses from the 19 players 5 Mafiosi, 1 Inspector and 1 Detective. All the rest are Townspeople. Each player is informed of their role via PM, and is not allowed to share that information with one another except in the official Mafia game thread. The Mafia members are informed of one another's identity, and they are allowed to converse among themselves via PM. To put it plainly: a) If you are not a member of the mafia, do not discuss the mafia game outside the mafia thread with any other player or with any non-player who might discuss the game with a player. b) If you are a member of the mafia, you may discuss the game freely among your fellow mafia only. Do not discuss the game outside of this thread with any non-mafia player.
2) The Inspector is informed of his/her part, and also of the identity of one randomly chosen Mafia player. The inspector may at any time reveal their identity to the players within the thread. (see game play warnings above).
3) The Detective works in the Covert Ops branch of the Roo PD. They have access to all of the same information through night 1as the Inspector, but not the inspector’s name. On Day 2, they go deep undercover, and lose access to any future inspector guesses, but get their own guess each night going forward. The detective may at any time reveal their identity to the players within the thread. (see game play warnings above).
4) Each day a vote is held for the player to be eliminated. For online play, deliberation and voting is combined; thus, you can vote and explain yourself in the same post. Every player is free to change their vote at any point up until the last vote is in and the Ref declares that voting is closed. The Referee will then post the final tally, and announce which player is eliminated and how they died. Then will begin the Night portion of the round.
5) During the Night, the Mafia decide on the player they want to eliminate (assassinate), and inform the Referee via PM. Once the Referee receives this info, it is posted here in the thread, the player is eliminated, and the following Day begins.
6) Likewise during the night the Inspector and/or Detective will PM the Referee and guess one player's Mafia status. The Referee will respond with a 'yes' or 'no' answer.
7) Play continues until all the Mafia have been killed (Townspeople win), or the Mafia outnumber the Townspeople (Mafia win).
8) Player roles will not be revealed until the game has concluded.
9) AKA The Bek Rule: Players who have been eliminated are still welcome to post in this thread, but are asked to not say anything leading to any knowledge, suspicions or opinions you might have. This includes use of the Like/Dislike feature.
10) The ref will do the death stories/videos.
11) AKA The kdogg Rule: There will be no sharing of role PMs inside the thread or outside for the purpose of disclosing your role to another player. This also goes for password sharing. Common sense should be used, no discussion of your roles, except between Mafia, outside the thread - EVER.
12) Voting will be open for 36 hours each round, or until everyone has cast their vote - whichever comes first. Voting will never follow the 36-hour rule on the weekends. The Referee will only ever close voting on a Saturday or Sunday if all players have already cast their vote. If a player has not voted by that time, their vote will not be counted. If a player misses two votes, they are out of the game regardless of how good your reason is. When it is decided that a player is out, they will be killed off during the day alongside whoever would have been killed by vote. a) If the Inspector has not made a guess within 36 hours during a Night round, the Inspector will forfeit that guess. b) If the Mafia have not reported a whack victim within 36 hours during a Night round, the Mafia will forfeit that whack and the Townspeople will receive another round of voting during that Night round to offset the missed whack.
13) The Referee shall neither answer an Inspector / Detective inquiry nor execute the Mafia's chosen victim until they recieve both the Inspector's inquiry and the Mafia's chosen victim. If the Inspector / Detective is the victim, they are not owed an answer from the Referee. The Referee shall only accept victim names from living Mafia players.
14) AKA The Bacon Rule: The bigger the whiner, the smaller the wiener.
Just want to add a note on death videos. Whether or not the character dying is a villain or innocent has NO BEARING on if the person who died is mafia or not. I am putting this disclaimer out now, so no one reads too much into it. My intent will be to match up death videos first by sex, then by situation (whack or lynch). After that, it is at my discretion. You will also get a death story too.
Ah, okay, yes, I forgot I signed up for this. Glad it didn't start til now since I had a tooth pulled on Monday and have pretty must just rejoined the living. Hooray for being tagged in posts! But enough of that crap, it's gameface time biatches.
(lol, okay maybe the meds haven't completely worn off yet)
Just want to add a note on death videos. Whether or not the character dying is a villain or innocent has NO BEARING on if the person who died is mafia or not. I am putting this disclaimer out now, so no one reads too much into it. My intent will be to match up death videos first by sex, then by situation (whack or lynch). After that, it is at my discretion. You will also get a death story.
"When music affects us to tears, seemingly causeless, we weep not... from excess of pleasure; but through excess of an impatient, petulant sorrow that, as mere mortals, we are as yet in no condition to banquet upon those supernal ecstasies of which the music affords us merely a suggestive and indefinite glimpse."
Also, I am being pretty lax about length of rounds this week, since we are just getting rolling and people are still checking in. However, by next week, I will be setting and enforcing deadlines in order to make sure this is not a 10 month game.