Post by Victory Dance on May 2, 2013 9:33:46 GMT -5
Yo. Welcome to the Rock!
Here's a few suggestions...
* Bars/clubs downtown (Rivermarket area)are kinda crummy (riff-raff) unless there is live music playing... 'Stickyz' and 'The Rev Room' are the bars downtown that have live music most nights. Keep an eye out for the free weekly entertainment paper's 'The Sync' and 'The Arkansas Times', they will have schedules of live music (and all other local entertainment and events) or just bookmark those two bars' websites.
* The Hillcrest/Heights area has the more hipster/upscale/older crowd's bars. Thats the area around Kavanaugh Blvd. Close in proximity to downtown, but fewer 18-21 yr olds. That area is close to the Med School here (UAMS) so there are a lot of Grad students that frequent the bars/restaurants. 'The Fountain' is a wine bar all the chicks like, 'Rocket 21' is a great restaurant that has jazz music on the weekends, 'Next' is a gay friendly bar (im hetero but go there often cuz there are a lot of cool folks there). And 'The Afterthought' is a jazz bar. 'Brownings' is an authentic Mexican joint that has dancing and free dance night classes, pretty fun.
* Robinson Auditorium downtown is a 5-7000 seat auditorium that will occasionally get some decent bands. Iv gone a lot the past few years for Comedians (Dave Chappelle, Mike Epps, Jim Gaffigan, Kat Williams, Kevin Hart)
* Verizon arena has the bigger acts obviously. And there is a growing downtown area (Argenta Arts District) in that area downtown NLR. Some good bars and artsy places in walking distance there. 'Cornerstone' 'Creegans' and 'Renos' have live music.
* When football season comes around, the Hogs play 2 home games a year at War Memorial Stadium. Even if youre not a fan, we have great tailgating (a golf course surrounds the stadium and it fills up with about 60,000 tailgaters). The city parties on those game weekends, and since the college kids are in town, there will always be some parties and live music at all the bars. A lot of people dont even go to the game, its just an event unto itself to tailgate all day.
* Riverfest is coming up every Memorial Day Weekend(downtown Rivermarket area) its a big deal here. Crummy bands (country/local/old rockers) but at least Peter Frampton will be there this year, and Lupe Fiasco. Its very cheap and the ABSOLUTE best people watching on earth. The best and worst of Central AR come out for this. Entertaining just to drink beer and walk around.
* The Clinton Library is actually really cool. They'll have special events there from time to time, and national speakers.
* There are 4 bars that stay open lat night (till 5:00 am). 'Discovery' (Disco) is the big dance/electronic/hiphop club (mecca of no-no-word activity, if youre into that) 'Electric Cowboy' country folks and some thugish types. 'Midtown' the latenight dive bar...very loud/dirty but known for their hamburgers, they prolly sell 200 a night after 1am. And 'Salute' is the only upscale late late bar. Grad school crowd, slightly older crowd goes there cuz they feel the other 3 are too young or dirty.
* Travs games downtown are fun I guess. Beautiful new small ballpark right downtown. 5$ tickets.
* If you dont know anyone, I would suggest joining the LRKA (Kickball League) There are over 100 teams in 4 different division, from LaidBack (dont keep score, just there to drink and play music, often wear costumes?) Novice, Intermediate, and Competitive. Competitive is ridiculously competitive for a childs game, too much so for me. But alcohol is allowed and encouraged in the park, and all team/league dues go to charity. Very well organized, 9 fields. Its a lot of fun and there is a huge community of kickballers. countless people (young adults) have moved here and just signed up for a random team and made good friends. We play on sundays. there is a Spring season and a Fall season. Bars around the area will have 'Kickball Specials' to get the teams to go out and eat/drink after the games each week.
* Fayetteville is a lot of fun, but its 2.5 hours away. Its where the UofA is located so people from LR migrate there for most home football games and hoops. They have a slightly better bar district (Dickson Street) and they get slightly better small bands. There is alot of cool stuff to do there so its worth a handfull of weekend trips a year. Im an Alum so im biased.
* We do have amazing state parks. Amazing. Big disk golf community at Burns Park (thats where all the big sports complexes are if you wanna get in an adult soccer/softball/hoops league). But Petit Jean Mtn, Pinnacle Mtn, Mt Magazine, Devils Den, Mount Nebo are all awesome state parks with plenty of outdoor stuff to do.
Thats about it. Gotta get back to work but ill check back later and drop all the good places to eat.
Post by Victory Dance on May 3, 2013 9:46:29 GMT -5
As far as food goes...
*Steak* Riverfront Steakhouse...downtown NLR, Amazing. Great for befor/after an event at Verizon Arena (across the street) Does Eat Place...downtown, very old shack, favorite spot of President Clinton. Amazing Tamales. Sonny Williams Steakhouse... downtown, very pricy but well worth it. in Rivermarket. Herman's... (its in Fayetteville, but I included it because IMO its the best steak in the state, and its a historic Fayetteville landmark, favorite spot for a lot of current and ex Razorback coaches. It's a must if you make a Fayetteville trip)
*BBQ* Whole Hog Cafe... best BBQ hands down, there are several around central AR. Mean Pig... 20 min outside LR in Cabot. Man vs Food featured it on their show. Known for super hot "shut-up sauce" Lindseys...downtown NLR, amazing old family run joint. will cater your thanksgiving dinner, amazing. Pig n chick...Sherwood, just outside the city.
*Seafood* Bonefish Grill... Upscale, great drinks/atmosphere. BangBang shrimp is good enough to get as an app then again as a meal. Flying Fish... downtown Rivermarket. Not expensive, great fried fish or healthy stuff too, oysters/clams/etc... Capers... Upscale, off HWY 10, good date place. fleshy banana of the Walk... Maumelle, on a pond, ton of wildlife wandering around. Very old-timey.
*Mexican* Cantino Lareado... Upscale fancy Mexican Brownings... Authentic Mexican, occasional live music, free dance classes, cool atmosphere. Hillcrest area. Sr. Tequila/Casa Mexicana... my favorite cheap local Mexical joints. There are several of them around town. Hacienda... Great salsa, green/red/white/hot/cold options.
*Pizza* Iriana's... downtown Rivermarket. Best pizza in town. U.S. Pizza... several locations Gusano's... downtown Rivermarket. Only place to get Chicago style pizza. Trivia nights and other events weekly. Pizza Cafe... very small, but great food and a huge deck for when the weather is good.
*Miscellaneous* Cothams... Unique place, also features on Man vs. Food. Home of the 'Hubcap Burger'. Very cool old place just outside the city. Boscos Brewery... Upscale, downtown Rivermarket. Brews their own beer, get a sample of all of them. Good spot for before going out. Gadwall's Grill... Local favorite in NLR. My favorite place in town. Family owned, cheap, hard to find but WELL WORTH IT. Faded Rose Maddie's Place
Ok just started working here for about a month I'm from Knoxville don't know anyone our anything to do around here some one please help
Hey I live like an hour west of LR!...they have this thing called Riverfest coming up in like a month...you can look it up, its a small music fest, not a whole lot of big name bands but you could check it out!
Thank you so much I'm so bored lol maybe I'll see you there
I have a friend who lives there who gets in his car and just guns it through the backstreets of the Hillcrest area that other dude was talking about...probably not a very smart thing to do for fun, but I have heard good things about the Hillcrest area!