Post by NotMitchelBade on May 31, 2012 16:41:55 GMT -5
I've wanted to go the past two years but haven't been able to due to early summer obligations in my grad program. A friend of mine who's also in my program is in the same boat. So we committed to doing it next year!
We're looking to go ahead and book a condo this week. Any recommendations as to where to book? We want one that holds about 10 people. We'll figure out who the other 8 are later.
EDIT: FULL LINEUP IS OUT (3/6)
Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers •Stevie Wonder •Kings of Leon Trey Anastasio Band •The Shins •Bassnectar •Yeah Yeah Yeahs Macklemore & Ryan Lewis •Kendrick Lamar •Afrojack •Steve Aoki •The Black Crowes Slightly Stoopid •The Roots •Passion Pit •Ellie Goulding •Imagine Dragons Big Gigantic •Bloc Party •Gov't Mule •Jim James •Porter Robinson •Baauer •Public Enemy •Moe. Galactic •Dirty Projectors •GROUPLOVE •Toots and the Maytals •Lissie Holy Ghost! •The Breeders •Best Coast •Ra Ra Riot •Jason Isbell & the 400 Unit •Twin Sister •Ryan Bingham The Sheepdogs •Shovels and Rope •Moon Taxi •The Revivalists •Zion I •Lance Herbstrong •Anders Osborne twenty | one | pilots •Delta Rae •Nicki Bluhm and the Gramblers •The Bright Light Social Hour •The Werks The Tontons •Brassft Punk •The Kingston Springs •The Mowgli's •The Wild Feathers •Chancellor Warhol Luella and the Sun •The Weeks •Space Capone •Wild Cub •Colin Lake
EDIT: LINEUP IS (mostly) OUT (2/13) AND TICKETS ARE ON SALE (2/15)
Here's the official lineup (presented by Chevy!). It's still missing a headliner and some other bands to be announced soon. More info is available at the Hangout Music Festival's website.
Tier 1 tickets are sold out. The remaining GA tickets are $220.00 plus $27.50 in fees. Get yours and come groove on the beach with us!
UPDATE: DAYS BANDS ARE PLAYING **** Thanks to gophish73 for compiling this! ****
FRIDAY Kings of Leon Trey Anastasio Band The Shins Kendrick Lamar Steve Aoki (date was for Friday, gone now) Passion Pit Grouplove Toots & the Maytals (no HO date, but dates on the 18th and 19th) Revivalists Zion I Anders Osborne (VA date on 18th, no 19th date so he could be either) Luella and the Son
SATURDAY The Black Crowes The Sheepdogs Delta Rae Bassnectar (Aoki Friday/Robinson Sunday...- credit: mjb8797)
Sunday Porter Robinson Galactic Dirty Projectors Shovels & Rope Space Capone Colin Lake
Also, Colin Lake's page had evidence of a possible 5th stage? Maybe it is just under a name I am unfamiliar with anyone know the "BMI Stage"?
Anyone not listed either had no dates on their page, or had all 3 dates listed.
UPDATE ON ARTIST RUMORS (2/8): **** Thanks to problem dog for compiling this! ****
Mumford is happening. They've been rumored since Black Friday, Caddy's source claims they'll be there, and they headline Sasquatch the weekend after (Hangout and Squatch shared Jack White as a headliner last year). It's time to accept that one, if you haven't already.
The other 2 headliners will likely be pulled from the following 3 groups:
- McCartney is the big rumor. Too many rumblings from too many different places to ignore, but still seems hard to believe. Confirmed for Bonnaroo, so he'll be in the US this summer. - Tom Petty. Rumored since Black Friday, also a major Bonnaroo rumor. Fits this festival like a glove. However, NotMitchelBade's friend heard from his AC source that Petty is not playing Hangout in favor of playing Bonnaroo. - Bob Dylan. Rumor started on page 28 of this thread when a one post user named rainforla heard he was headlining Sunday. Always on tour. - Sound City Players. Wildcard. Grohl is a Hangout alum, and SCP would appeal to the older crowd that buys the pricey VIP packages. Their touring plans are still vague, though, and they haven't popped up on any festival lineups yet.
Major Rock Act
- Muse. Rumored since Black Friday, and they have a gap in their tour dates. Some people doubt their ability to pack up their gear and get to the UK by 5/22. - Kings of Leon. They are headlining Bottle Rock the weekend before, and Governors Ball in early June. - Janes Addiction. Originally booked for 2011 and billed 4th, but dropped out before the official lineup release. Billed 5th at Bottle Rock the weekend before, right behind the 4 nightly headliners. They would be a soft headliner, but Hangout might want to go cheap if they actually landed Macca. - Atoms For Peace. I'm only including this because a user named elgringoloco passed along a rumor on page 23. I would be shocked if this happened. It's debatable whether or not they would headline, but I think they would be an acceptable soft headliner similar to Janes.
Major Jam Act
- Furthur. Headlining Bottle Rock the weekend before. - Phil Lesh and Friends. One of Mountain Jam's headliners in early June. - Trey Anastasio Band. I don't think they are top 3 unless Hangout books Macca, but you never know. TAB headlined Hangout in '10, and they have gone after Phish ever since. Headlining Summer Camp later in the month. Phish was one of the 4 big rumors after Black Friday, but there have been no signs that they will be active in May. - Allman Brothers. No dates listed beyond Wanee in April, although Songkick has them listed for Mountain Jam. - Help me out here. Are there any other jam bands big enough to headline? WSP is probably out because of Jazz Fest. Phish seems unlikely to be touring at that point.
- Avett Brothers. Alpharetta on 5/17, Nashville on 5/18, then a gap until 5/24. They will almost certainly be the Sunday pre-headliner. Hangout alums.
- Delta Rae. Leaked via Pollstar.
- Moon Taxi. Self-confirmed.
- Steve Martin and the Steep Canyon Rangers. Seemed likely due to a Tyron, NC, date on 5/17, but now they're playing a festival in Pennsylvania on 5/18. They still have a gap until 6/1 in Virginia.
- Steve Aoki. Announced tour dates that included Hangout, then quickly removed the date from his website.
- Gov't Mule. They will be at Beale St in early May, but not at Jazz Fest that same weekend as expected. Could be because of a radius clause with Hangout? Also playing Mountain Jam. Hangout vets.
- fun. Mostly speculative, but they have a gap in May, and seem like the kind of band that would book festivals like Hangout this summer.
- Lucero. Tour dates end in either Atlanta or Memphis the weekend of 5/4 (playing festivals in both cities, daily lineups unavailable at this point). Exactly the kind of undercard band Hangout tends to book.
- The Breeders. Tour dates end in Atlanta on 5/15. I remain skeptical that Hangout would book them.
- Built to Spill. Tour dates end in Utah on 5/12, but they will be back West by 5/24 for Sasquatch.
- Bassnectar. Dates end in Chattanooga on 5/12.
- Shovels & Rope. Rumor originated by everydayperson, who got it from a source that apparently knows things.
- They Might Be Giants. Australian tour ends 5/11, US tour picks up in Indianapolis on 5/30. Hangout likes artists who can pull double duty on the kids' stage.
- Old Crow Medicine Show. Opening for Avett Brothers on 5/17, no date scheduled after. Hangout vets.
- James Blake. Tour dates end in Atlanta on 5/14, but probably not someone Hangout would book.
- Fall Out Boy. They are in Ohio on 5/17, with a gap until a 5/21 date in Pittsburgh. That's the longest gap in their US tour. Doesn't seem like a good fit, though. Paramore has a similar gap, so it's more likely both will end up at a Bamboozle kind of fest.
- Crosby, Stills & Nash. Florida on 5/17, and Charlotte on 5/19. Tons of regional dates in May, though.
- Band of Horses. US tour ends 5/11 in Charlotte, then a gap until Primavera in Spain on 5/24.
And wow, you're like a walking, talking infomercial to turn people away from Pearl Jam and Ohio State, aren't you? Before you started posting here I quite liked Pearl Jam and was indifferent towards OSU, now I find myself wishing that Eddie Vedder falls down a mine shaft or that Columbus is infested with locusts
Post by The Festive Bowel on Jun 1, 2012 10:25:39 GMT -5
David Bowie would give me a heart attack. I'm just trying to be optimistic. We all know that either Jack Johnson or Jimmy Buffett is going to end up being one of the gotdamn headliners. They threw a big turd in the punchbowl this year with DMB that has generated so many derp fans on their fb asking for garbage. Stinkin Park will probably be on there too. Roll Tide? Jack Johnson | Linkin Park | Black Keys
I think Phish is very likely next year. I also could see Soundgarden since Chris Cornell made an appearance this year and apparently had a great time. I would tend to think Green Day maybe the 3rd one since they are likely to be festival heavy next year. I also expect to see the festival continue having a big electronica bill since it has been very popular the last 2 years. I could see a group like Justice getting a big slot next year like STS9 this year
would be awesome. but like Longinus the Jack Johnson tirdage is inevitable. might as well be next year. just put him on sunday so I can go home early.
Is it just me, or does it seem like Jack Johnson's popularity has kind of faded away? Maybe a new album will change that. Put him in a pre-HL spot if he is going to be there. I don't see him on the same level as Foo Fighters/Paul Simon/RHCP/DMB.
Post by Sgt. Blotter on Jun 1, 2012 13:46:11 GMT -5
Jack Johnson is so lame. I really hope they don't bring that crap in. I would count on Phish playing.
Muse sucks ass live, overproduced garbage like that RHCP show.
Kings of Leon? Seriously? That dude had a meltdown and BLEW IT hard. They're dunzo, nobody cares anymore. They were the chosen ones for a while by the record industry and they were shoved down everyone's throats even though they in no way deserved it.
I think Bruce is reasonable, as is Tool or Soundgarden. No way they get Pearl Jam with DeLuna having them this year.
I'm gonna go ahead and call OutKast. They have a new album coming out in the fall and they are gonna tour. Everyone wants them, I think they will be heavy hitters on the festi circuit next year.....Coachella, Hangout, Roo, Lolla
I def think Hangout will get Mars Volta next year.
Post by problem dog on Jun 1, 2012 13:59:15 GMT -5
Where are you hearing that Outkast has a new album coming out in the fall? They have been denying those kind of rumors pretty consistently. No way they are up and running by this time next year.
I also feel like Jack Johnson's popularity has slipped from what it was back in 2008 when he was headlining everywhere. He's probably a second stage pre-headliner act. Unfortunately, I think Kings of Leon are still very much headliners. Here's to hoping Hangout avoids both.
Post by NotMitchelBade on Jun 1, 2012 14:46:39 GMT -5
Jack Johnson's popularity has decreased a lot, thankfully. He might be able to still headline something like this, but I doubt it. My guess is more along the lines of:
Pearl Jam - Phish - Muse
but who really knows. I'd love to see TMV thrown in there. Or switch one of those out for Tool. Definitely add a Justice set and also Cut Copy if they're touring again by then. But not really getting my hopes up too much.
How big is Hangout? I always pictured it as a little smaller than Roo, like 60k or so. And when does the lineup come out? I seem to remember it being early January, around Coachella's?
Jack Johnson doesn't/didn't deserve to headline Bonnaroo, but I don't think there's anything all that wrong with his music. He's not the most inspired lyricist, but his music isn't incredibly overproduced like Jason Mraz or anything. I see why it's not some people's thing, but I don't see why people hate him to the extent that they do.
I guess I can understand because I hate Mumford and Sons because there are so many good bluegrass acts out there that it's bullsh*t that something as bland as that can have that much success while great bands struggle.
I guess I just don't see why people are talking about him like that would be the worst thing to happen to the fest. DMB (regardless of music) has the shittiest fans ever and Hangout 2012 was my favorite of all three years. Sh*t, f*cking Zac Brown headlined the first year. I don't think Jack Johnson is the sign of the apocalypse.
Post by The Festive Bowel on Jun 1, 2012 15:14:51 GMT -5
Thank you Chris, I feel enlightened now. Now do Jimmy Buffet and Linkin Park! I wasn't trying to insinuate that it would be the end of the fest/world. I was just throwing out the worst case scenarios for me based on what i witnessed on fb as the most requested artists. I don't see their update about it anymore (it must have been deleted), but they asked who would you like to see for next year...and all I could do was :facepalm: from the majority of the responses.
NTMTCHLBD, Early Bird Tix will probably go on sale in the middle of November again and those were $175 after fees. I wouldn't be surprised if the price goes up though. This year and the year before, most of the lineup was released in early February.
Post by problem dog on Jun 1, 2012 17:21:07 GMT -5
Jack Johnson wouldn't be apocalyptic, but he is an artist I strongly dislike who would be taking up a major slot. That always bums me out, it's a wasted opportunity. Like I said above, though, I doubt he is a top 3 headliner, which means there would likely be other options during his set. One of those options being condo drinking before the headliner.
Speaking of Mumford and Sons....I'm no fan, but they are totally the kind of band Hangout would go after.
My personal best case scenario (unrealistically heavy on finicky legacy acts):
Prince | Neil Young and Crazy Horse | The Cure My Morning Jacket | Beck | The Roots
Jack Johnson wouldn't be apocalyptic, but he is an artist I strongly dislike who would be taking up a major slot.
^^^this. I agree there is WAY worse music out there then Jack Johnson but I don't like his music.
Another thing to consider is Depeche Mode will be touring next year. I don't think they fit into the Hangout vibe, they would be more appropriate for bonnaroo. but either one would be great with me.
a good change this year though was they started putting opposing acts against the headliners. so all is not lost if they book a lame headliner.
here's a fun speculative question: do y'all think Hangout will sell out as early next year? tons of tickets on the ground this year. I think it will always sell out, the speed is just lineup dependent.
i love that we are already talking about this. Hangout isn't my favorite festival but its very unique and always amazing.
Post by The Festive Bowel on Jun 1, 2012 18:28:01 GMT -5
If they don't go after Pearl Jam due to DeLuna, they prolly won't go after Neil Young & Crazy Horse due to Voodoo. I would love for them to get The Cure or Prince, but I find it highly unlikely that they would get both. They may not even try for Bruce Springsteen, Tom Petty, Beach Boys, Jimmy Buffet or The Eagles due to jazzfest.
Post by problem dog on Jun 1, 2012 19:11:09 GMT -5
Eh, I don't think this year's Jazz Fest will really affect next year's Hangout, who won't probably release a lineup until nearly 10 months after this year's Jazz Fest wrapped up. Voodoo '12 will have only wrapped like 2.5 months prior to when Hangout announces next year, so that probably would matter for the biggest names. I guess that probably does rule out NY&CH.
I have no expectations of Prince or The Cure, but either would be pretty huge for me. Prince is bucket list, and I haven't seen The Cure since '04.
EDIT: I guess that would rule out Green Day, too, which is a positive as I see it. Also, I'd be very happy with some Faith No More.