Post by wolfmanjess on May 7, 2012 12:17:12 GMT -5
Primus was great as always, they just keep getting better. Herbie was really good as well, all the hits plus he played Rockit at the end and brought the house down. In fact I did not really see a bad set all weekend, except I thought MMJ sounded very subdued and a little bored.
Fri NEEDTOBREATHE Lupe MMJ
Sat Hiatt Son Volt Buddy Guy Al Green Janes Addiction
Post by InternetKane on May 7, 2012 13:27:53 GMT -5
Man, I had a great time! Was nice to meet the couple of ya I did... We'll definitely have more time to hang out at roo.. The whole non-camping aspect of BSMF keeps ya running around when you are actually in the gates! Anyway, this was hands down the best BSMF i've ever been to. Lineup, weather, good people.. What a great primer for next month! Also, i really like how it decided to rain IMMEDIATELY after the fest let out... Haha, Somehow I didnt get a single drop while at tom lee park!
I like how Les ended the set with simply "The winds picking up" after it blew one of the space men over... hahaha. Epic!
Nice photobucket album Phi! Def have to run into ya at roo!
Post by trailerparknoodles on May 8, 2012 13:03:38 GMT -5
My best BSMF ever
1. MMJ's version of Dondante. Also, don't get the no-energy comments....they looked to be having a great time, especially Carl. 2. Alison Krauss and Union Station as a festival ender. perfect 3. weather was a highlight. Even the hotness of early Sunday was canceled out by the evening coolness. 4. Childish Gambino making me hope for a latenight set 5. Florence and the machine's backup singers 6. Dr. Dog's non-crowded set 7. The one guy from Head and the Heart finally telling the rest of the band - LET'S PLAY and stop soundchecking forever 8. Gary Clark Jr living up to the hype 9. reliving my childhood with half a set of BUSH 10. ending that halfset with Civil Wars 11. Son Volt playing half of Trace 12. The views of the river & bridge 13. No beer lines 14. completely half-ass attempt to check bags/pockets was also appreciated
Post by problem dog on May 8, 2012 14:29:57 GMT -5
Head and the Heart soundcheck was annoying. When you've been checking levels for 20 minutes, and you're still telling the sound guy "just a hair less of this," you should probably just suck it up. Their set was decent enough, though.
Three Six Mafia was my only outright disappointment. Way too much "hey, remember this song?" -> chorus x2 -> breaking glass effects.
I agree w/you 99.2%, trailerparknoodles (love your name, BTW!)
* MMJ doing Dondante gave me chills. It always does, but this time? Under that gorgeous moon with the gentle breezes off the river and the clouds rolling in overhead? Pure magic.
* THE HEAD & THE HEART's sound check was BEYOND RIDIC! My 3rd time seeing them; they sound better each time. Well, the guys do. Charity's voice leaves much to be desired...
* THE CIVIL WARS have the.best.chemistry of any act in the music industry. Their genuine love of life, of music, of their professional relationship - just incredible! And who would've ever thought that MJ's "Billie Jean" could sound so righteous as a folksy number?
* GARY CLARK JR should never play a tent that small again, if there is any justice in the world. That man is somethin' else! Just... WOW.
* OLD 97's have still got it. Granted, I'm biased because I've had a huge crush on Rhett Miller since college, but still...they sound (and look! ) just as good now as they ever did.
* PRO: the searches. What searches?!? I could've snuck in a couple fifths of bourbon and anything else. I've NEVER seen such lax (read: non-existent!) security anywhere! It was great (or would've been, if I'd actually thought to be sneaky!)
* CON: not realizing the hotel was 1.7mi from the venue & walking it when your overly-boozified brain forgot to save $1 for the trolley...trust me, that hike was a guaranteed buzz-kill!
Overall? Great festival. Easy to get in/out. Very clean, very picturesque venue. And DIRT CHEAP TICKETS. This fest is a no-brainer, for sure.