Post by konstantine on Jun 18, 2011 9:33:28 GMT -5
YES TO LAMINATED SCHEDULE!! The one we pulled out of our book was disgusting after three hours.
1. More light food & snacks 2. More bandannas 3. A small cooler for keeping toiletries cool (I use the Intuition razor and left it in the tent and the soap around it melted off. Plus, there's nothing like ice cold aloe and sun block!) 4. Bigger first aid kit 5. More chairs and some kind of small camp table!
1. light scarf or wrap for sun/dust cover 2. spray on cooling sunblock 3. filtered water bottle for non-sulfur flavored water 4. somewhere shaded to sleep outside of the tent in the morning 5. travel size Porto-bag containing clorox wipes, TP, and hand sanitizer
Post by mizvalentine on Jun 19, 2011 15:07:55 GMT -5
I was really well prepared thanks mostly to you guys! But some things I was really wishing for:
1. Low chair for Centeroo...my ass is too old to stand for 8 hours and I couldn't really sit in the dust. 2. Dust mask, and maybe some wraparound shades or goggles for my eyes. 3. Knee socks and high boots to defeat the Bonnarash 4. Less food...I thought I planned well but I wasted a lot. 5. A real hammer! My camp mallet was very popular (I think I loaned it out to 10 camps!) but the tent stake puller immediately snapped the day I was leaving. Thankfully I found someone who had a real hammer with a nail puller on the back, otherwise, I never would've gotten my EZ Up undone (and as it was, I had to cut some tarps before I found a hammer... )
Post by theshining on Jun 19, 2011 20:29:35 GMT -5
1. Go VIP again, this saved my ass countless times all weekend 2. A bandana or some such other thing to protect my lungs and sinuses from the dust 3. A lightweight shade tent for camp in the mornings (one light enough to pack in my checked luggage) 4. A hat other than a baseball cap with a brim wide enough to block my face and neck from sizzlin'
1. Pepto. Forgot to put it in my first aid kit and needed it Thursday after having smoked too many cigarettes on the drive down. 2. Netipot. Man, I wish I could have rinsed out all the dust from my nose and sinuses.
Best things I brought this year? Benadryl, earplugs, and an eyemask. Slept until at least 10 AM everyday (though my tent was well-ventilated and I didn't care about being in my underwear to keep cool, even though everyone saw my...everything.)
1. EZ Up is the best invention ever 2. more water....i tended to party more and drink more beer previously...this year I was way more concerned with hydration 3. bandana for the crazy dust storm...I am still coughing and stopped up, yuck 4. learn how to really use my camera's ins and outs and use it more! 5. go VIP or RV next year. i was so far out for the 2nd time in a row and would like to get back to my camp to rest and recharge
Post by future dracula on Jun 21, 2011 11:17:08 GMT -5
-More effective cellphone charging solution (probably just gonna buy some extra batteries so I don't have to fool around with cars or charging stations etc.) -Pack lighter (I took about double the clothes I ended up wearing, maybe I'm a savage but I spent not one night in my own tent or using any of the sleep stuff I brought) -More bandannas (by the time the dust got reeeealllly bad all mine were well beyond the point of being clean enough to tie around your face) -More paint, markers, glowing shit, cool clothes, fun creative stuff -Always bring the most massive tarp you can locate in your tri-county area
I wouldn't really change the amount of food, beer, liquor and corn we brought, even though we had plenty extra none of it went to waste. We cooked up everything we had left that we didn't want to take back and kept our corner drunk and well-fed on Sunday night
Something for shade. Fuck me, even if you bring extra tent poles and a tarp. You need something off the ground at least 6 feet between you and the sun. I didn't think it would be a big deal, it was and then we spent hours during the day in the rental car with the AC jacked.
Shade, comfortable clothes/shoes, and a camelbak is all you need. Anything else is an accessory to your trip.
Post by gardenfresh on Dec 11, 2011 10:57:22 GMT -5
Thanks to this board, I believe I have EVERY facet covered for my first roo experience. Much like others we brought too much food and beer, but all in all I had a comfortable roo my first time around.
If I could have done ANYTHING else to better prepare it would have been to get in better shape. I am such a lazy fat ass at home (and i love it) (not really that fat, but call myself so) but I really shouldnt bring that attitude to Roo. I could acheive all the following if i just improved my stamina:
1. Pass out less, see more music (I slept through all of the black keys 2010, big regret) I'd much rather for next time take planned power naps. 2. Take less taxis (spend less $$) 3. Don't have a vendor-thon where I practically had three dinners back to back because I was so ravenous. No peptol bismol the next day either. 4. Have more stamina for standing up during shows 5. Help me expand out to see more music (I remember skipping Ween because it was alllll the way over there when I was alllll the way over here at the That Tent for Dropkick so instead I just saw Rise Against.)
By 2010, my 3rd year, I had shit nailed down pretty well. I paced myself correctly, and ate the proper nutrition to have the endurance to make it through all the things I wanted to (I found Snacking on trail mix and cliff bars throughout the day is very helpful). Also a small handful of ice in your hat, however and whenever you can come by it, is amazing. And lasts way longer than I'd ever expect in the heat. Only thing I'd add is to bring an umbrella, just to shade myself when I'm doing things like resting in the grass between acts, or waiting in line at the comedy tent or elsewhere.
Also- I HAVE to ride the ferris wheel next time. I tell myself this every year, but whenever I'm ready to do so there's always a huge line and the time feels like it could be better used on other things.
5/15-5/17 THE HANGOUT MUSIC FESTIVAL 5/31 BASSNECTAR REDROCKS 6/20 Archnemesis 7/23 Bro Safari 7/24 Marilyn Manson / Smashing Pumpkins 8/4 My Morning Jacket 8/13 DEFTONES, Incubus, and DFA1979 8/22 Umphrey's Mcgee 8/29 AK1200 + Dara 9/12 STS9 @ Red Rocks! 10/14 Particle and Dr Fameous 10/15 KoRn 10/31 Suwannee Hulaween 11/6-11/7 EDC Orlando
What you got back home, little sister, to play your fuzzy warbles on? I bet you got little save pitiful, portable picnic players. Come with uncle and hear all proper! Hear angel trumpets and devil trombones. You are invited.